Sunday, July 19, 2020

Nissin Seafood Cup Noodles with milk & tumeric

You may have heard of the cup noodle hack where you cook seafood cup noodles in milk. This is that... with some extra ingredients!


So, to start, you need a seafood-flavoured cup noodle.

I just used the local Nissin flavour. 

And you throw the contents of the cup noodle into a small pot!

Here's how the inside looks before I remove them.

 Then you prepare the extra ingredients to add to the seafood cup noodle!

Four extra ingredients!

So, what I have here is:
  • Milk (1 cup)
  • Tumeric 
  • Paprika; and 
  • Crispy chilli prawn sambal (optional). 


Now let's get cooking!


We begin by pouring the milk into the pot containing the seafood cup noodles, and turning on the heat!


Be careful to not let the milk boil for too long, or it'll curdle. When it starts to boil, just lower the heat and let it simmer. Next, we add a generous dose of my favourite paprika...


And around 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of tumeric. You don't want the tumeric to overpower the taste of the noodles.


Next, I add about 1/2 cup of water to make the "soup" less thick. I also turned over the noodles so that the other side gets cooked.

The water looks cloudy because I used the same cup for the milk.

And now for the final ingredient, some crispy chilli prawn sambal to add a spicy kick to the noodles! (I used 1 teaspoon of it.) Other kinds of sambal or chilli should also work if you don't have this particular kind. I just happened to have this sambal in the kitchen.

In you go!

Mix everything, and let the noodles cook for 4 minutes or until it's soft enough...


And when it's done, serve it in a bowl!


And how does it taste?

It's delicious! I'm more surprised than anything that the taste of tumeric does not clash with the taste of milk! (Then I discovered that tumeric milk was a thing...) And the spiciness of the sambal gives it a satisfying kick. It kinda reminds me of curry laksa in a way.

...Have I made a new kind of laksa?


So, if you're getting bored with your cup noodles and you're looking for something exotic, you can try this combination.  It may sound gross, but it tastes good! Props to my father for suggesting to add tumeric to the milk seafood cup noodles I was making. I would never have thought of it otherwise!


No comments: